Thursday, October 16, 2008

Silly Kids

Kelsey has found a new phrase she likes to use. "Well... Dad said so." She will ask for something and I will say no and that is what she replies. He will have been at work all day and she still gives me that excuse. I just say "Well... Dad isn't around." Sometimes I throw in there "you haven't even asked your dad."

Melodrama. Macy is a little melodramatic. Yesterday a bug bit her and so of course it itched this morning. I used some anti-itch stuff but that doesn't always work. So for 5-10 minutes she is rolling on the ground, rubbing her leg on the carpet, and crying and moaning about how it still itches. She gets this way when she is sick too. It is so very pleasant for a mom who is supposed to be compassionate. Sometimes I want to say buck up. Okay, I think I have before but it doesn't work.

Last night she decided to play with a knife while I was on the phone. She got a minuscule cut and came in here crying. The problem was I had just used the last band aid on a real cut. She was crying ouch, ouch, ouch. I am sure the YM president, who I was on the phone with, thought I was a heartless mom when he overheard me tell her to be quiet and she shouldn't have been playing with a knife and that it wasn't that bad. After the phone call I informed her that we had no more band aids because bleeding sore can have band aids and that makes everything wonderful again. Wrong choice. More melodrama came from her vocal chords. Well I looked at her hands and realized that most of the pain was due to the fact that her hands were filthy. So I sent her into the bathroom to wash. This time she came back in fake crying and screaming because she couldn't find the cut anymore. I tried to tell her this was a good thing because it meant it was gone. She just cried some more and kept looking over both her hands trying to find it because it was awful for that the cut disappeared.

Another melodramatic moment came several months ago when she asked what the hard part was on her elbow. The answer was a bone. She got mad and wanted me to take the bone out. She didn't want any bones. I tried to explain that we needed our bones and that I couldn't take it out. She didn't believe me and then the drama came. Over the course of a days she asked me about leg bones, arm bones and back bones getting upset each time that I couldn't get rid of them. She didn't want bones and would cry and moan each time. Finally she has accepted the fact that she has bones and there is nothing we can do about it. Occasionally she will ask about a bone but there is no more drama.

3 comments:

Nikole said...

That is so funny about the bones. You should teach her the bone song..you know "ankle bone connected to the knee bone" and all that. Maybe then she would think bones were fun!

Heather said...

Kids are soooo funny. You never know what they will come up with next. It's amazing how they won't let things go.

Kenningtons said...

HA!HA! Macy is such a funny girl!! And Kelsey is a clever little thing! I had no idea you had so much drama in your home!! Keeps things interesting I bet!