Thursday, October 16, 2008

Last Week

Three important events took place last week. The first was we cooled off into the high 70s over the weekend. At night the low was around 54 degrees. It was great to awake wrapped up in blankets and not have our air conditioner turn on for two whole days.

This weather made one of the other events blissful. On Saturday we put in our winter lawn. For those of you who don't know but the perennial grass that grows here can't take cold or frosts so it goes dormant in the winter. I don't mind this because this perennial is called Bermuda and it is such an awful grass. It isn't soft and comfortable to sit on and it is the worst weed I have ever seen. You should see the strangling runners it sends out. Anyways, so we can have green lawn in the winter we scalp the lawn and put rye seed down. This rye grass is so green and is the softest grass. I love to just go outside and lay on this blanket of nature. I can't wait for it to start growing. We did do it a little differently this year so we hope it grows. To save time and money we did not cover it with a compost or mulch. Some people have said that it is not necessary so we tried it. Besides golf courses don't do this step. The problem is I think it give the birds easier access to the seed and we have flocks on it every time I turn around. It is the girls job to chase the birds away.


The other event was a fun murder mystery party my friend Carri and I hosted. I let everything in my life go to pot to work on my costume and do things for the party, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Because of this lack of chores I am playing catch up this week. (I guess that is not entirely true. The weather was so nice on Monday and Tuesday that I took the kids to the park all day on Monday and for a couple of hours on Tuesday and that threw things off too.)

Carri did such a great job of writing about our party that I will just link you to her post if you want to read more and check out all the wonderful costumes. It was really fun and I would recommend this type of party to anyone. The only problem is that you are limited to the number of guests you can invite which is dependent upon the package you buy. As a side note, we have always purchased a clean version of a murder mystery. We don't really want to find out what the normal version entails because the clean ones still involve some affairs, obviously a murder, blackmail, and bribery. Just nothing graphic. For instance, at the party my husband was not Brian but at least I was interested in Brian.


Of course I forgot to get a picture of my whole costume, so a sideways shot will have to do. Poor Brian was made fun of all night for his small guns. We borrowed some kid ones from a friend. Everyone else seemed to find larger ones.

1 comment:

Lacey said...

How fun-the weather has been so nice! Even yesterday we met some friends at the park around noon and with the wind blowing it was really nice!

Love the way your costume turned out! So fun!