I am not a germ loving freak. There are definitely times to pull out the old hand sanitizer. I myself disinfect my counters on a regular basis, wash my hands and have been known to use the paper towel trick to leave a public restroom. I also know that there is no way to live in a bubble and I also recognize that a 2 year old and 3 year old will never be completely germ free. I just think of it as developing their immune system.
There also seems to be more that I need to be concerned about besides the superbug. This includes prevention of chronic diseases. I am currently reading a book called The Culprit & the Cure. Did you know that "compared with 1971, women now eat 335 more calories per day" which is "equivalent to eating six Oreo cookies or one and a half bags of low-fat microwave popcorn every day." I don't know about you but if that is the case I need to cut back somewhere so I can actually eat the Oreos. The idea behind the book is that our Western culture leads us down the path to preventable diseases such as diabetes, strokes, heart disease, heart attacks, and cancer (yes science has found that most cases can be prevented). Not all of the cases are preventable but with healthier living we are more likely to live a longer, higher-quality, more active live. Who really dreams about becoming "crippled" 20 years before they die? Our Western culture the author refers to is obesity, over-eating, sedentary lifestyle, bad food choices, and smoking. The author talks of eating high-fiber foods, more fruits and vegetables, a little less meat, getting physical exercise and how to make these behavior changes. He does a wonderful job making his case with quoting many studies, giving statistics, and explaining the scientific findings (including the inconclusive results and results for and against healthy living). I am really impressed with the book and recommend it to all my family and friends because I want everyone to have a healthy life. God needs us to fulfill our missions here on life.
9 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment