Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tree Planting at the Temple

Saturday morning we took our kids to the temple grounds. It was our stakes turn to help out on the grounds. As part of this project the all the kids in the primary earned and donated money to help buy 10 trees (one for each ward) to plant on the Mesa temple grounds. Saturday was the day of the tree planting. It seemed that almost every family in the stake were there (I felt bad for the bride and groom that were trying to take pictures because I don't know if there was any place without people). The kids each got to take a turn in digging the hole for the tree. It was funny to watch the 8 and 9 year olds try to break through the ground on the first few shovel loads. They tried to do what they had seen their dads do. They would jump on the shovel but did not have the body weight to have any impact. Eventually they got it going. Each of the kids took a turn at digging, some took a couple. Of course Macy wouldn't help out. She is shy when there are too many people around. After awhile they turned the digging over to the fathers or it could have been another hour.

The hope for this experience is that as the kids grow older and they visit the temple they will be able to remember the tree they helped buy and plant and have a desire to see it often.

Sorry there are no pictures but I am not a good photography mom and again didn't even think to bring my camera. If anyone has any pictures of my family, I would love a copy so we can remember this event.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Cute! Hey I got a couple, not great, but will help in the memory department! I will email them over to you!