Friday, November 14, 2008

The Top 3 Worst Items to Shop For

I have been doing a little shopping lately and have realized there are 3 things I usually hate to buy. In no particular order (because they all tie for first in my book) they are: swim suit shopping, bra shopping, and maternity shopping.

For most women spring brings the dreaded start of swimsuit shopping season. It seems that no matter what the scale says or the tape measure reads, many feel inadequate. Maybe it is because there is less and less cloth to the swimsuit each year.

And bra shopping. Every time I have to go shopping for this item I end up trying on millions of these. I have a general idea of my size, so I start with that. Each one fits a little different so besides my standard size, I usually have to try on the same style but one band size up and one cup size larger or go the opposite direction. I end up trying on more bras to get to the final purchase than I try on shirts to get to one I like. And a bra is worn underneath the clothes so no one sees it anyways. The last complaint about this is what if I don't like it any more after I have worn it for 12 straight hours, then I am back to the drawing board. I did get around this for a time by buying the same exact bra for a year or two until it was discontinued.

I hate maternity shopping. It reminds me that I am getting larger around the middle (and yes I know it is for a good purpose, but still no one enjoys extra poundage). It is hard to find affordable, good looking clothes. Right now everything feels like a tent, but wearing normal clothes produces bulges that make it look like my clothes are too tight in the mid-section. It is also a difficult purchase because you wear them for such a short time. I would rather spend my money on clothes I can wear when I am back to my normal size and get good use out of them. Just the other day I went out for the purpose of finding clothes and I spent the majority of the time gazing in store windows and longing to buy the cute normal clothes. Such is the dilemma. I think I will go with some plain long sleeve t-shirts and a couple of sweaters/jackets that can be thrown over the top when I step out of my house. And if you notice me wearing something out of style or over and over again, just know it is because I am saving up for an after party shopping spree.

Now some may say jeans could be another difficult category, but on my list it makes the number 2 spot.

4 comments:

Gretchen Edwards said...

I can not believe you posted that picture of me!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenningtons said...

DREAD!! I am right there with you on swimsuits and bras (and jeans!!). Maternity wasn't so bad for me because I got many months use out of mine since I had 8 straights months of summer. I will say, maternity clothes cost WAY TOO MUCH for how cheap the material is! Maybe I just don't know where to buy the good stuff!

Nikole said...

Annie, you need to go have a bra fitting. Have the lady at Victoria's Secret measure you (they can do it over your clothes if you want). According to Oprah, most women are wearing the wrong size. I need to go do this myself now that I am done nursing...who knows what size I am now? Oh, and that picture is disgusting.

Lacey said...

I was serious when I said you could borrow my maternity box. It's always nice to have something new to wear that you didn't have to pay for! Expecially since it's such a short time that you wear them!

That picture of those women is SO GROSS! That's motivation enough NOT to eat cookies today!