Monday, September 8, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

Our 4 year old boss finally convinced her lowly subjects, mom and dad, that we needed to go camping again. For a little more than a week Macy told everyone that we were going camping in a couple of days and every time camping was mentioned she whined about going. So Friday night at about 9 PM we made the decision to go camping with some friends who were going camping with their neighbors who were meeting their friends who always go camping with the same group each Labor Day. (If you were able to follow that, give yourself a star.) Of course Brian questioned whether this decision was a good one on Saturday morning after I was half way packed. Here are some highlights of the trip:
  1. Sat. at 4:30 PM left for our trip. Before locking the door Brian asked if I had my keys. I said yes without checking, but quickly made sure they were in my purse. 5 minutes later we turn around to get the extension cord because this time we were going to use the Aerobed. Of course we had locked ourselves out of the house because Brian only asked if I had my keys and was not specific about having a house key. He was real happy about that one. Luckily I had placed my house key in a little pocket of my purse intending to put it back on the key chain, but this was not found until we reached the parking lot of Lowe's to buy another extension cord.
  2. We set up our tent in the dark again.
  3. Our dreams of the Aerobed were never meant to be. We filled it up the first night and then I was pushing it into place when the bed wouldn't move anymore. Then I heard whoooooossshhhh....! A small sharp stick we had missed when clearing the tent site had poked a hole through our tarp and tent bottom and then attacked the bed leaving a dime size whole in our $130 mattress that only my mom has slept on. We tried to patch it every night, but half way through the night we found ourselves on the hard ground. Do you think Costco will take it back?
  4. We met some really fun people. I became instant friends with Lando and his wife because they set up a makeshift toilet for their daughters and enclosed it with a tarp. Lando even took care all the gross stuff that accompanies such a device. He was my hero because I am not a squatter which is one of the reasons why I was not pushing to go on this trip. I was not sure what I was going to do if there hadn't have been that toilet.
  5. Macy had a great time with all the kids up there. Her favorite friend might have been Chad because he had 4-wheelers. She sat on those things all day long. It didn't matter if they were moving or not. She did prefer to actually go out and ride them.
  6. Around the campfire we had smores, campfire eclairs, and dutch oven peach cobbler. We also played Murder in the Dark after all the kids were in bed.
  7. The weather was perfect and we only had a little bit of rain.
  8. Macy got a little car sick on the way out of the canyon (it was definitely a 4-wheel drive type of road) and she threw up in the car. I had to keep passing a bag of gummy cherries under my nose so I wouldn't gag on the smell.
  9. Overall it was a good trip and we are grateful our friends let us tag along so we could meet so many wonderful people.

3 comments:

Carri said...

I love the boss comment. Sounds like home.

stephshappenings@blogspot.com said...

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Glad you made the best of it all and still had fun!

Yvette said...

Awwww....the joys of camping! Sounds like the memories of this trip will last a lifetime and like your friend said at least you made the best of it.