Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Aspirations

Today I was talking with a friend about what I wanted to do after my kids enter school. When I do think about this time I usually think about going back to school. I haven't ever figured out what I would want to go back for. Maybe physical therapy but that is now pretty much a Ph.D. Then I think occupational therapy, physical therapy assistant, kinesiology (I know this is a word because I took a class in college, but blogger and my dictionary are not recognizing it.) and work in a lab, nursing seems to be making decent money right now.


I continued to ponder this idea while at the gym and then the idea hit me. I want to own my own business, but I am slightly picky about my hours. Wouldn't it be great to own a Desert Cafe. This has been spinning around in my head all day long. The first thing Brian would say is that I would eat all the profits, this could be true but a few tastes here and there only insure the quality of my work. This cafe would need to be located in a trendy/touristy part of town. I would fill it with cupcakes, brownies, cookies (including the chocolate crinkle cookies I made last night, to die for), homemade pies, rolls, my mom/aunt's banana bread, zucchini bread, applesauce bread, cinnamon rolls and cakes. I would sell hard pack ice cream and hot chocolate too. I am sure there would be a demand for coffee, but in my dream I am not sure I want to go that direction. There would be little tables and chairs for people sit and relax. Maybe even a couple of couches so that showers could be given in my little place. People would also be able to make orders and take our delicious samplings to parties. The hours would be something like Tuesday-Saturday from 2-8 or 9 PM. Sunday the day of rest and Monday our boating day and the day to catch up on things (Monday is not set in stone.)

Of course this could not be a one person operations. My mind almost overheated when I tried to figure out the logistics of baking everything daily. I would need probably need at least 2 partners in this adventure and one employee for the evening. Possible partners could be my cousin Turia who started a business doing wedding cakes in Utah. I checked out her website yesterday and she is really talented and then my cupcakes could be even cuter and we could sell her wedding cakes out of the shop.

I don't know. I think my dream has carried me away. What do you think about my idea? Do think this type of thing could be successful?

8 comments:

Gretchen Edwards said...

sounds scrumptious! you have your first customer here!! especially if you make those home made oreo things. yum yum. you do have a baking talent! I think you should share it with the world!

Carri said...

I have been looking for just that kind of a store! I love dessert, but I hate going to a restaurant just for a piece of cake. Great idea. (BTW, I make some awesome cinnamon rolls!)

Lacey said...

I want in! I could help with the cakes!

I've been thinking alot after you and I talked yesterday too...I'd love to do culinery school, beauty school, and the list goes on.

Kristine said...

WOW! That is an amazing idea! You should totally do it!! I saw you today and waved after you turned your head! I loved reading about the camping adventure too!

sheryl said...

I came to your page round about but have to say I think a good place to start would be to share some recepies with us! You just made me hungry! I will also tell you there is a place in St. George Ut where the girl wanted a shop to do her cakes/cupcakes. She does beautiful cakes, and then has the best luches you could imagine! Check it out. twentyfivemain.com She is always busy!

Heidi said...

Hi annie,
It's Heidi (Peterson) Hasleton> I found your cute blog through Lacey's! Your family is so cute. Thank goodness for blogger. It is so fun to find all of my long lost friends and their families on here. How is Life? I would love to get all the gamma girls together sometime. Do you still keep in touch with many of them? Hope all is well. I'll keep checkin up on you and your cute blog.
Heidi

Heather said...

Annie, I got linked to your blog through someone else. You know how crazy the blogging world is! I hope you don't mind me peeking into your world. Just thought I'd pop in to say Hi! It's been so long since the sorority days. It's crazy how fast time goes. Hope all is well!
-Heather (Livsey) Long
ghlongfamily.blogspot.com

Annie K said...

Sheryl, so funny you should mention that shop. The was one of my inspirations along with another similar shop in So. California. I tried to get a cupcake from that cute St. George store last time I was there, but it was closing time and the selection was extremely thin. Now that you gave it great recommendations I am sad that I missed it. Maybe next time.