Eggnog, chocolates, the smell of spices and pine trees, shopping, Christmas music, parties. One more plus, I don't have to go out in the miserable cold to do all my errands that creep up this time of year.
Today the girls and I spent quite a bit of time at Walmart. Not my store of choice, but I had a return and needed a few items. Macy and Kelsey had a great time seeing all the Christmas items. They were enthralled with the dancing/singing stuffed animals. Their eyes grew big seeing the blow up yard decorations. Macy found a misplaced basketball and believing she could dribble chased it down the aisle. Then came the bikes. They were in heaven. Of course there was the motorized jeep out for display that they had to play in along with the little kid 4-wheeler/quad. I couldn't get them to leave. Their smiles and enthusiasm brought a grin to my face. I always thought that Christmas was the best when you were child and still believed in Santa. I was wrong. It is the best when you get to play Santa. I just want to get them everything and I can't wait for them to open up what I did buy. If I was to actually write out the list Macy keeps mentioning (she has asked if I will write a list for Santa for her) it would be 20 pages long. The gift giving isn't the only great part. One of the neatest experiences is teaching my kids about Christ and the reason for Christmas. I get just as excited to plan FHE this time of year and to take my girls to the temple lights. Last Monday we talked about His birth and when we passed a yard nativity Macy exclaimed "We talked about that the other day." I wanted to hug her and say "you were listening".
About the motorized vehicles. Brian is dying to get the girls one of these things. I have to admit I almost bought one last night and today (especially when they were happy playing with one that didn't run). They are a little more expensive than a regular bike and I want Macy to learn to actually ride her bike before I let her become lazy. I told him maybe next year and I had to remind myself that they will be excited for whatever they get this year.
9 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment