Friday, August 29, 2008

Thunderstorm

Last night we had the most amazing thunderstorm. I have never seen a storm like this. It thundered and lightening went off for over an hour. The amazing part was that it flashed at least once every second for most of the storm. The thunder grumbled continuously. I have never heard thunder like that. The video above is just a small sampling of the storm last night. I was trying to find out how many lightening strikes there were and saw that Sky Harbor Airport had to shut down for an hour during the storm.

Then the rain came. I thought we might get washed away. Macy was worried that the pool would overflow. I told her it wouldn't happen. Well this morning we have an extra 1.5 inches in the pool. Maybe she was right to be worried. I wish Brian didn't have to take our camera to work otherwise I would take a picture of the park across the street. We now have a very large pool instead of a playground. There is water covering the grass and several inches of water are underneath the entire play structure. Maybe once I get dressed and head outside I will use our old camera to take a picture.

Of course there is always one brilliant soul in every storm. Brian and I were outside watching when we see somebody walking across the park with an umbrella. Were they asking to be struck down? I know I was tempted to go out and enjoy the refreshing rain, but I am also smart enough to realize when there is a lot of electricity flying around. I am sure the person is okay, but who knows what smart things they will decide to do today.

The best part about this storm: cooler weather for the next couple of days. We are talking below 100 degrees. Still upper 90s, but colder nonetheless.

No comments: