Thursday, June 21, 2007

Joseph Smith Movie

Last night I went to the Mesa Temple Visitors Center with the YM/YW. We went to see the Joseph Smith movie. This was the first time that I saw the movie the whole way through. Last time the kids were with me and I had to keep going in and out. I thought it was very well done.

I have to admit I did cry a number of times. I am not sure when I became so emotional. I think it was about the time I got married. Ever since then I cannot contain my emotions like I used to.

There were many reasons for my crying. One was the hurt I felt for the members of the church at the time, especially the young children who were forced from home to home and saw so much tragedy. I also cried for Emma and Joseph for the trials they had to endure and for the number of children they lost. I cried to see how the faith was tested of all the early members. I mainly cried because the Spirit confirmed to me that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true and that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God who helped restore the gospel of Jesus Christ here upon the Earth. I am so grateful for his devote curiosity. This faithful curiosity led him to ask which church, who am I, where do we go from here, will I see my brother and children again, etc. I am so glad for his strength, courage, and example.

Another thing that struck me during the movie was Emma Smith. She had to have so much faith and love for Joseph to believe him about his revelation in the Sacred Grove. He hadn't even received the plates when they were married. Her strong faith kept her by Joseph's side through all the torment and persecution and through all the demands that were placed upon his time. This movie made me think that Joseph and Emma truly had a celestial marriage. It appeared that they loved each other so much. It reminded me of Pres. Hinckley and Sis. Hinckley and how they kept that spark burning so bright that it emanated from them. Emma had to have been a special person.

I left the movie with a feeling of how important it is to share the gospel with those around us. Maybe it was because my lesson this week is on sharing the gospel, but I know I could do better about mentioning the church and preparing myself. The movie really impressed upon me how important each individual is to Heavenly Father. The only way to help out and serve everyone is to share what I know instead of just enjoying it myself. It is like birthday cake (or any other dessert). Of course it is good when you are eating it alone, but it is so much better when you have others around to enjoy the food and the moment.

There were many other things that struck me. I highly recommend that if anyone has not seen it to make a date and stop by the local visitors center.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I agree. That movie is great. I cried, too. It made me so thankful to those early saints who paved the way for the rest of us. I can't believe how easy we have it.

Nikole said...

Annie, love the blog. I am glad you posted this message! I too, teach Young Women, but we are ahead of you in lessons. I am teaching "Counseling with the Lord" this Sunday. I have also been thinking about sharing the gospel alot lately. We are so lucky to have been born into the church! What a blessing.