
Sunday afternoon Brian loaded up the car to go for a drive. We took along a picnic dinner because the plan was to find a beautiful mountain area to stop at. As we got on our way I told Brian that this drive felt like something from a 1950s TV show. The only thing missing was an old station wagon and maybe a few more kids. I have a feeling that these drives of his are going to be something that the kids will laugh about in their adult years. It will go something like this: "Do you remember when dad would make us all climb into the car for those silly drives of his to who knows where?" Then there will be laughter and someone will mention that they remember this time when he drove to the mountains to take in the beauty and the place he chose to stop and eat at was a burnt forest.
That is what happened Sunday. The kids had awaken from their naps and were antsy to get out so we started to look for campsites. Brian turned off onto a dirt road that had a sign to Black Canyon Lake. We passed some beautiful lush pine trees to get to the lake. Once we got to our destination I noticed that the trees surrounding the lake were all black and dead (there were some trees that survived the fire). The area had been consumed by a wildfire in recent years. It was still pretty and cooler than home. I had to put on long pants and a sweatshirt. Brian had to put on his sweatshirt and the girls didn't seem to be bothered so we left them in their shorts and t-shirts (Macy wouldn't wear her jacket).
After dinner we walked along the lake. Brian began to skip rocks and so the girls joined in. I think they threw rocks in for at least a half an hour and would have gone on longer if we hadn't gone back to the car. Macy had to scour the land for the best rocks. I guess the ones at our feet weren't good enough. For Kelsey anything worked including wood. One time she found a rock as big as her head. Of course that was the one she wanted. Macy helped her pick it up. We were afraid that it would drop on their toes, but somehow the rock made it to the water.
Overall it was a good day trip. Macy's only complaint was that she couldn't watch a movie. We didn't bring the DVD player. It would have taken away from that old time feel. I think the next adventure Brian has on tap is Monday, Memorial Day.

1 comment:
I hope this is not published twice.
I was thinking Brian probably gets the drive thing from us, we like raod trips. However we don't have two children along for the ride. Or maybe he gets it from Grandpa Jacob. We went to the Mountains avery Thusday which was his day off. We have great memories of the Wasatch Mountains. Sorry to hear about your hair cutting experience. I gave Mike a perm once on the weakend. I could hardly wait for Monday so we could have it cut off.
Post a Comment