Monday, May 23, 2011

Whose Idea Was It Anyway

More philosophical thoughts from yours truly. I think the two most painful grooming tasks for women are leg shaving and eyebrow pruning. I can get past the legs because 8 months out of the year in Utah I can hide behind long pants and no one knows how often this ritual takes place.

But eyebrows that is a different story.  They stand out before everyone and there is no hiding them even behind glasses. I am not sure why it bothers me so or why I neglect them so often. It isn't painful anymore to rip them from the follicle (sometimes it is when I get a hold of a little skin by accident, then I cry and shout out a string of alien sounds). Maybe I hate the chore because I am not the best at it. Sometimes they get a little thin and bald looking and other times it is still a bush. Most of the time I will step in front of another mirror in a different light and see a bunch of strays I missed (even after thorough inspection). In college I used to make my best friend pluck those hairs for me because she was so much better. Man do I miss her.

So I ask, who's idea was it that to be beautiful to most that women need silky smooth legs and manicured brows? Legs again a little more understandable. There is something about slipping into a pair of pants when all is satin. But the bikini part I can tell no difference nor does it make clothing feel any better. But because someone deemed it sexier, I myself feel better when standing around in a swim suit and there is no forest hanging out. Back to the brow. What is wrong with a uni-brow or two bushes on your face? It is only wrong because someone decided that people look better by pruning nature. Of course I will continue to shave and pluck because I have fallen into the same belief abyss that less hair is best and clean trimmed eyebrows are more beautiful.

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

I think you should leave your bikini line comments and foreign things hanging down to yourself. No one wants to know about that.....

Layne Bushell said...

Ha ha! I go get the eyebrows waxed to avoid the whole plucking/trimming/shaping scenario. I'm lazy and I don't do it as often as I should, but the whole bikini area...you hit the nail on the head.