Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Doctors appointment

Brian said I needed to write about Kelsey's visit to the cardiologist today and her wasted $25 co-pay. Both of my girls have heart murmurs, but neither one of them are serious (both should eventually go away). Kelsey's doctor just wanted to do a follow-up this year to be sure that she didn't need any more follow-up visits. So that visit was today. Macy went to a friend's house for the appointment so I didn't have to deal with 2 small children. That was a mistake. Kelsey can't stand to be separated from her sister. Last time I left Macy with a friend and took Kelsey, Kelsey cried for a half an hour. Of course Macy mentioned that she got to go to a friend's house and Kelsey had to go to the doctors. Kelsey replied with a "I NOT GOING TO DOCTORS!" She has been repeating this ever since she found out that an appointment was in the near future. I am not sure if she was traumatized by Macy's last shots or what. Anyways it took a fruit-by-the-foot and some time to calm her down.

We made it to the doctors office happy and played with the train set there. Then the nurse called us back and she refused to go. I had to coax her out of the waiting room. She walked very slowly with her arms folded glaring angrily at the nurse. Then she shouted with hatred "I NOT GOING TO DOCTORS AGAIN!" Now the nurse didn't seem to be having the best day, but she had done nothing to warrant that response. We had to give her 5 princess stickers to get her weight (27.6 lbs) and height (35 inches). Then it was back to the room. She seemed to be a little more content until I had to take off her shirt. This was a task but finally managed to do this with no tears. However, she would not lie down on the table. So the nurse had her sit in my lap. The nurse needed to stick many electrodes to her torso, but Kelsey would not have it. She screamed and screamed more bloody murder. She tried to pull them off. As a I held her arms from failing and pulling she began to kick with her legs and got the nurse several times. I had to try to hold her legs with mine but she wiggled out of that continued to kick the nurse. Extremely frustrated and not any happier the nurse finally gave up and said they would do it if the doctor insisted. The nurse suggested taking her blood pressure, but the look Kelsey threw made her decide against that.

Well I got her calmed down and semi-happy when the doctor came in. She immediately hid from him even though he was extremely nice, happy and very kid friendly. Then came time for the stethoscope. He tried to listen to her heart began the murder scream began and she kept pulling at the instrument and failing around. We tried and tried some more. I even tried to put it on her chest so the doctor could listen. Nothing worked and he couldn't hear anything. I could see the frustration mounting in his voice and face (he still did a good job of managing it). He too had to finally give up. That is when Kelsey yelled "I HATE YOU BUTTHEAD!" I was mortified and covered her mouth and sternly told her we don't say those things (I thought we had overcome this word in her vocabulary). When I finished scolding she looked at the doctor with complete hatred and shouted again "I HATE YOU BUTTHEAD!" I couldn't believe it and was even more embarrassed. Not only has my child frustrated him and been absolutely a beast, but now she insults him to his face. I wonder if he thought that she just had a strong personality or if he thought she was a spoiled rotten child that was used to saying whatever she pleased. I hope it was the first.

When we left the office she was just fine and there were no more incidents of extreme anger. Cross your fingers that at her 3 year check-up the pediatrician doesn't hear the heart murmur any more. If he does, I hope she will have grown up a little more so I don't have to waste another co-pay and an hour of my life.

2 comments:

Yvette said...

Shay has a heart murmur too and another heart problem. So we've had to go through those visits too. I know Shay gets a little nervous every time we go. She usually starts acting different. So maybe a combination of being without Macy and being nervous was the problem. Plus those sticky things hurt when they pull them off.

Kenningtons said...

The amazing thing is that you were able to keep your cool in a very tense situation!! I didn't know your girlies had heart murmurs. They are both so full of life and personality. We miss them...and you guys too of course!