Sunday, April 20, 2008

Westward Ho

For those of you who don't know, Brian and I have been asked to be a Ma and Pa for our Stake Youth Conference. When they asked I was excited but that quickly diminished to "do I really want to go?" It is not that I am afraid of the actual physical exertion it is more of all the work it takes to get ready to go. Well yesterday was some training for us Ma's and Pa's. Actually it was mostly pulling handcarts through sand for 3 hours. The day turned out to be overcast so it made the whole experience much more pleasant. It did help me get more excited for the actual event, but then they really pressed the importance of us helping to bring about a spiritual experiences for the kids. We are to be shadow leaders and to help guide them. So instead of physically preparing I am unsure about how I can relate to these kids and be the best Ma I can be. I guess I need to gear up spiritually.

The best part about yesterday was being on a public hiking trail. We were all in pioneer attire (except for a few slackers including myself). I am sure people were wondering what was going on especially with all that has been happening in Texas with the FLDS church. Maybe we should have told the onlookers that we were headed to Texas to see what the reaction would have been.

3 comments:

Kenningtons said...

HOW FUN!! They picked a perfect couple to be ma and pa! I hope you two have a great time.

Nikole said...

I went on a Pioneer Trek when I was like 15 and loved it. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Don't ask Ashley about it...she had a totally different experience than me!

Lisa said...

That is so funny...I wish you would have worked the FLDS gag :) I too loved pioneer trek when I was a teenager, but mine wasn't incredibly intense.