Sunday, October 14, 2007

We might be crazy

The weekend has come and gone. Friday we had a new tree planted to replace the ficus tree we lost to the terrible frost last winter. Like most of our purchases we went with the motto larger is better. We didn't want to wait for the tree to catch up to the rest of the landscape.

Saturday was yard day. Brian and I planted our winter grass. Officials here try to discourage this practice because you use a lot of water to keep grass growing. Besides saving water, you can save time because you don't have to mow and fertilize dormant grass. Call us crazy, but we spent 5 hours on the process called over-seeding just so we can pay more and increase yard maintenance in the winter months. First we scalp the lawn so it becomes a dirt yard with patches of dead looking grass. This equaled about 15 bags of grass for the garbage man. Then we spread 20 pounds of seed between the front and back yard. Once the seed is down we sprinkled mulch across the top to help retain moisture and to help hide the seed from the birds. We had to sprinkle 17 bags of the stuff (we are talking the large Lowe's bags out in the garden center). It was after this that I realized I might be getting old and weak. My legs and back did not want to pick up another bag. I was afraid I would not be able to walk today. Don't worry all is well. I am still young enough to recover quickly and had no side effects today. We did this back breaking labor because we feel that it is worth it. The nicest weather here is in the winter. We want to use our yard then. No one wants to sit on their beautiful green lawn when it is 115 and when our temperatures are moderate the bermuda grass turns brown and scratchy. That is why we plant it. Last year our grass was the softest grass I have ever laid upon. Macy would always tell us that we needed to feel the grass.

Our reward for our hard labor was a murder mystery party that night. Brian and I got a babysitter, found some costumes and had a wonderful time. The theme was pirates. I was Antonia Napier, the wealthy governor's daughter. Brian was Sealegs Sam, a poor merchant sailor that I was in love with. When we all arrived (there were 6 couples) we were given given money and information about our character and tidbits about others. We then mingled and set up the plot. Then a murder took place and the goal was to find the murderer anyway we could and/or get the most money by using bribery, blackmail or good old fashioned questioning. We had such a good time. The costumes people had and the way people got into character was so funny. My sister, Breathless Betty, was a hoot. She would talk in this french accent and was just out there. Her husband told me at church today that it took her awhile to get out of character. The most shocking thing that happened last night was my Sam (Brian) turned out to be the murderer. I am proud to say that I did guess him to be the murderer. Like I said before, this was a fun party and many other guests enjoyed it too. Some of us would love to do it again. Maybe next Halloween.



Today has been a quiet, relaxing Sunday. After church the whole house took a nap. I woke up before everyone and it was a little odd to have the house silent. At the same time it was very peaceful and rejuvenating. The kids had a sugar cookie for dessert and Kelsey was so entertaining to watch. Of course she only ate the frosting, but the manner in which she did was hilarious. First she picked off all the sprinkles then she would bite/lick the frosting off. However, as she would do this she would inhale through her nose. She would pull the cookie away and gobs of frosting would be hanging from her nostrils. I tried to wipe it off, but she would sniff forcefully and it was quickly gone. I think half the frosting made it into her mouth and the other half in her nose. The next disgusting thing was Macy finished off Kelsey's cookie. Once most of the frosting was gone she was done and that was when Macy moved in for the kill.

Macy wanted to show what was in her mouth.

2 comments:

*natalie said...

Thanks for the scoop on winter grass, ours looks really bad right now. I guess we need to do a little more work to make it look good.

We did a murder mystery dinner with my family a couple of years ago...it was so much fun. Maybe we will have to put one together for next year with the BYU group.

AMBER said...

I have never done a murder mystery but I have always heard that they are really fun! Maybe we could plan one sometime!